Sunday, January 22, 2012

Well done...you get a sticker!

I know.  It seems really cheap to just put a sticker where there should be an inlay but Art & Lutherie obviously took advantage of that when they designed the rosette so I figured, why not go all out and use stickers on the fretboard as well?

I found this website offering a variety of guitar inlay stickers:

While the site shows pictures of the stickers on actual instruments, I wanted to see how they would look on *my* guitar.  I also wanted to see how different combinations of fretboard inlays and rosettes would look.  This calls for Photoshop!

Rosette removal:
Removing the rosette required taking some of the nearby pixels and cutting/pasting them over top of the rosette.  I then used the healing brush to cover up any abrupt changes.

Pickguard removal: 
The pickguard covers a significantly bigger area than the rosette, so nearby patches of the wood grain would be insufficient to cover the pickguard.  Fortunately, acoustic guitar tops are 'book matched': a sheet of wood is split through the middle and opened like a book.  This results in a generally symmetrical wood grain.  Therefore, the wood grain underneath the pickguard (high E side) is roughly a mirror image of the low E side of the guitar.  So I selected the pixels on the low E side of the guitar, flipped them horizontally, and pasted them over the pickguard (again, healing brush to clean it up).

Here's the before and after photoshop:

The image below shows what my guitar probably looked like in the factory, before they installed the rosette and pickguard

Next post...adding the new inlays and rosette digitally...

No comments: